PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK military pay rise 2007
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2007, 21:54
BleepBleep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't matter whatever figure they finally announce I'll bet a pound to a pinch of s t that whatever charges we pay are increased by a lot more than the rate of the pay rise.

As for the retention incentive comments, surely you don't expect that sort of thing just after a 15% reduction in staff due to redundancy? (Tongue firmly in cheek) It would be interesting to know what the PVR figure was before and after the redundancy announcements. Rumour has it that some branches (mine for example) are haemorrhaging individuals after they found they didn't get redundancy.

Melchett wrote:
Yes, I'd love to see that. IIRC, weren't MPs asking for something like a 66% pay rise to take them up to £100k at the back end of last year? Apparently to take them into line with people like doctors - the fact that doctors actually EARN their £100k seemed to have escaped most politicians. From what I can gather £60k + huge pension + "services" of a secretary seems more than enough for an bunch of unqualified liars.
The probem is that we are now in the era of the proffessional politician. Gone are they days when our MPs had already proved themselves in real life, be it medicine, business or heaven forbid the military!!! before they decide it is time to give someting back to the nation by putting themselves forward for public political life. Now we have these political studies graduates who think they are owed a living and they can achieve this through their time in parliment. With the chance that a large number of them are not going to see another term is it any surprise that the "cash for honours" spectre is prowling the corridors of Whitehall?!!