PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2007, 20:45
Harry Wragg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People seem to be confusing a number of issues here. It is all very well "wanting to be a pilot" but how many people actually check that they have the aptitude for the job. Sensible individuals will research such details before coughing up large amounts of cash. When I trained their were plenty of people doing their CPL/IR's who had loads of money but absolutely no chance of ever being professional pilots.

And that is what we are talking about, professional pilots fly for money, if you do not, then you are merely an enthusiastic amateur.

If you have the ability, aptitude, and meet the strict personality profiles you will get a job. Otherwise, all the type ratings in the world won't help.

To be a professional pilot means to behave in a professional manner, I do not fly because I love flying. I fly because it maximises the return on my skill set. It is a return on capital employed, namely me.

Nothing wrong with day-dreaming, but a lot of people in here seem niave bordering on mental illness. It is a job, like every other job it has good points, and bad points, Scroggs is the voice of reason.

If you want to fly, get a well paid job and join the local flying club. A professional pilot is paid to "operate" the aircraft, very little "flying" takes place. It is a very dull job.

And before you jump in with "i'll do your job instead", you can't, much as I would like to play for Real Madrid, and I would do it for less money, does not mean I will be replacing David Beckham any time soon.

Harry

p.s. VT, are you sure you are 35, you sound more like 15 to me...