PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - who are the best controllers in the world and the worst ?
Old 23rd Feb 2007, 12:16
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't get the JFK link to work, but if it is the same one that was sent to me a few weeks ago, the guy while entertaining was a moron. He spent so much time trying to act smart he never bothered to get the traffic picture. At one stage he asks two Jet blue aircraft in the same transmission "which of you Jet Blue aircraft is ....(I can't remember the exact question, irrelevant really)" and is actually surprised when he gets a double transmission in reply. Crap R/T from this controller and whilst busy yes, I hope you don't consider his performance as an example of worlds best controlling.
Flying into LAX last year and there were CB's everywhere and everyone was diverting all over the shop on a busy Sunday evening at the end of a holiday weekend, and listening to the frequency on my United Flight, the guy working that traffic was calm cool and collected, and just got the job done with out being a smart arse (he didn't once say "you should come up here one day and see how great we are", whereas that JFK guy didn't stop stroking his ego the whole time). Now he was a contender for worlds best controller.
Worlds best controllers in my opinion come from all units all over the world and they are the guys who do the job with the minimum of fuss, know when they can provide an extra service to the aircraft, and more importantly know when they can't, are professional on the R/T at all times, and no matter the **** storm that is surrounding them, sound as though everything is A-OK. (For the record unfortunately I'm not one of them as I get too emotionally involved at times and have been known to lose my cool at a moron pilot or two, thus disqualifying me from the title race of Worlds Best Controller).
So in answer to the question I think every unit in the world has some worlds best controllers (and every unit also has their fair share of Muppets unfortunately), and it is unfair to try and say one place is better than another. We all work with the traffic we get as best we can, busy or quiet, complex or simple, radar or procedural, tower, approach or area.