PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aborted landings/Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2007, 00:43
Middle Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA

of 748 flights in my log sheet, I've had two go arounds.

First was AA on approach to DCA. Its been a number of years, I don't recall if it was in an F100 or an MD80. In any case, I recall the sudden surge and lift upward. Shortly thereafter, the pilot came on and said someone missed an exit and was still on the runway. 20 minutes later, on the ground no problems

Second was recently on Virgin Blue into ADL. Very windy afternoon, and it looked as if we were going to land, but at about 100 or so feet up the pilot pulled up and the first officer came on board and said conditions weren't right, and we went around and then landed. It was very windy, and I recall thinking, "Gee, its taking awhile for the front end to come down." Eventually it did of course, and the flaps were deployed. I don't ever recall flaps being deployed that long on a 737-700 that I've been on, and I actually thought "Hmm, I wonder if we're going to eat grass" I haven't a clue how long the runways are or how much we had left, but I was ready to open the Delorian exit door and be the first out.

Now that I've experienced that, I'd like an aborted takeoff, please.

I also want to jump down an escape slide. Its kinda like wanting to see a tornado in person.