PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 22:23
FlyZB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmibaby

I think the decision to base the 4th new a/c at BHX was a sensible, if not slightly predictable one. Success at BHX is baby's last hope of becoming a big player in the LOCO stakes. But what will happen at their other bases? Are baby in danger of becoming a one trick pony, highly successful at BHX but nothing but a fringe airline elsewhere?

EMA & MAN used to be their 2 biggest bases a few years ago with the potential to be huge had they been on the ball. Particularly at MAN where they were the only true low cost carrier for a number of years (ZB was still full service back then, TOM was still BY and LS were unheard of this side of the pennines). Yet growth of at these bases has been more or less stagnent and they have been overtaken by FR and EZY at EMA and by ZB, LS and TOM at MAN and don't seem too interested in even trying to compete. I reckon they've still got the chance to make things happen at CWL but only if they pull their finger out soon and really focus on trying to make this base work.

I know for a fact that they are popular ex MAN and do very well on the routes that they do operate. Is it a case of they are scared of competing against what they perceive as bigger players or are they simply happy enough to live in the shadows of their rivals and achieve success on the few routes they do have?

Will baby ever be a big operator out of MAN, EMA & CWL or will they just sit back and be content with what they've got?