PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XP to 98 networking
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2002, 21:38
CBLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Coneng and GoneWest,. .. .I've had similar problems to yours with networking - I typed a full reply yesterday afternoon but it wasn't accepted by PPruNe due to the servers being taken down or something.... .. .Anyway, my problems were due to the fact the Win NT and Win XP default to sending passwords encrypted, whereas Win 98 (and Samba on Linux - not sure about ME though) expects plain text passwords. You need to either enable password encryption on your non-XP machines, or disable it on the XP machine.. .. .I opted for the latter, although of course sending passwords in clear if you're worried about hackers etc getting into your home network.... .. .To disable password encryption, go into Regedit and find the key:. .. .HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanman workstation\parameters. .. .and set 'enableplaintextpassword' to 1 (it will currently be set to 0). As always, you'll need to reboot before the change takes effect.... .. .It worked for me - good luck!. .. .SC.