PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I have a future in this industry?- Opinions please!
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 10:31
wrongwayaround

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Mate

Given the current climate of the industry, your chances of getting the job you desire is fairly good. I'm in airline C&C and can see some marvelous things happening from the airline and the regional end.

'Word of mouth' is all we have to go by sometimes. But 'Word of mouth' tells me that regional operators (Easterns, Rex) are finding it most difficult to find pilots with the required hours. For legal reasons, they are required to take pilots with a minimum of 500 hours multi engine.

'Word of mouth' also tells me that at this current time, Rex only has about 90 applications on file with people who meet the minimum requirements. Usually they would have hundreds.

I say go for it. You sound like an intelligent gentleman and the industry could use you. Lets say you get the minimum requirements for Rex at age 36; you've still got about 30 odd years of good commercial aviating in you

I will also recommend (and others may be able to back me up?), but from my experience the people who go straight into Charter/Scenic jobs up north get into airline flying quicker. Some people who do instructing purely to build a few hours end up spending alot of money on the rating, don't teach the students with passion - and generally build a grumpy attitude as it takes longer to get hours.

Go straight up north and get your experience.... You 'smash' through the hours up there....

WWA