PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMREF Nairobi - any good?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 10:24
smallfry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know what kind of insider information you are after but....
AMREF is a very long term respected NGO (non government organisation), of which the Flying Doctors side is a small shop window. The Organisation is deeply involved in providing medical and social care in the comunity in East Africa, from providing training for comunity health workers, midwifes, the digging of boreholes and building of hygenic longdrops to name just a few. Research into Malaria and other terrible deseases is a huge part of their work.
The Flying side is very interesting... Over the years it has been relatively large, with upto 8 aircraft and 9 pilots, but with the hard economic times, the flying side is more restricted, and the fleet has shrunk, but to a all turbine fleet.
The flying varies from regular Outreach flights, dropping doctors off in hospitals around Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, to relief flights, to emergency surgical trips, to evacuations, to repatriations. Flights to South Africa and Europe with Patients on boards is becoming more common as well.
Looking for work?... You would have to ask them. I have been away a while. I have heard that it is getting more difficult to get work permits, and licence issue, unless you are a Kenya Citizen. But dont take my word for it.
AMREF Flying Doctors is a good organisation, doing good work, and long may it last. Any comments from the locals?