PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I have a future in this industry?- Opinions please!
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 10:13
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Do I have a future in this industry?- Opinions please!

G'day everyone,

Based on the info below about me, how realistic do you think my chances are of one day flying for REX- or possibly even an Embraer or 737 for Virgin Blue?

Current age: 33
Total Hours: about 300-Including about 40 twin (Duchess) plus a Baron/ Travelair endo.
Licences: Oz CPL (but also hold UK issued JAR CPL/ IR with UK ATPL theory).

For various reasons, going back to the UK is not a viable option for my Wife and I- and my observation is that there is just as much competition amongst low hour Pilots for jobs as there are here in Australia (we came home last year after 3 years of looking for a break).

My initial plan is to complete an Instructors Rating at MB or EN, and teach on a casual basis a couple of days a week- until I can nail down a more permanent position. On this basis, I reckon I could have about 500 hrs within a year or so- and then looking at heading up north and getting into an Operator where progression onto Twins is possible.

This is going to be made a bit easier by the fact that we have our House paid off, and we could look at renting it out when the time comes to leave Melbourne and head north.

I've been away from flying for a little while, and have just started part time studies toward a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. Although I'm enjoying it- the main thing that I'm learning at the moment is that I'm itching to be flying again.

Based on the info above, how realistic is it of me to believe that when I'm in my late 30's and with a few thousand hours, an Airline such as REX or VB would consider me?

Please let me know your opions- be they good or bad.

Many thanks in advance,
Gearup.

(PS: I've deliberately left Qantas out of the equation, as I know how anal they are about the "experience commensurate with age" thing- which as I understand has come to be known as "application not competitive" to get around discrimination laws).