PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Finningley/Lindholme 1950s
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 07:21
brimerr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memoir Vulcan's

Just a few memories of the Vulcan plane some 50 years ago.

On holiday at Abergele, North Wales, in about 1954/56 a Vulcan flew, parallel to the beach, then climbing at a steep angle climbed upwards and upwards, thinking this “beast” cannot surely do a loop the loop. As it looked as though it was actually going to, it rolled over to do, what I believe is called a half loop. Then even more astonishingly it continued to do a total of at least four, if not six, each one being in the reverse direction to the other. How’s that for a free “awesome” show. Hoping nobody responds, shattering my memories, by telling me this plane could not do what I have described.
Visiting my uncle, by marriage, (rank unknown) Don Skeen, at RAF Finningley in approx. 1956/1957 where he, himself, flew Vulcans.
A Vulcan came into land over the married quarters, asking him if there was any chance of seeing it. To my disappointment he replied,” not on the base, but if I went outside of the camp there was a nearby public road, a dead end, where I might get a distant view.”
Arriving at the end of the public road, a few spectators had gathered for the same reason as myself.
The plane was quite some distance away, but one could judge the scale of this “giant bird” because the crew disembarking looked so minute, in comparison to the size of the plane.
The gathering had only been there for a few minutes, when a “military police” vehicle arrived.
The military police explained, “although we had every right to be where we were, as it was a public road, they would be obliged if we would please move away,”
(I wondered what they might be going to unload?)
Everybody of course obliged, well you did in those days didn’t you.
I remember my uncle telling me that he had flown two tours of duty in the Berlin Airlift.
He also recalled how he had flown the Vulcan at the Farnborough Air Show and then across to, I think, Montreal or Ontario, where their air show was over the river, or the Vulcan did a display over the river. Please forgive the vagueness as it was some time ago.
He also showed me a photo album, presented to him and the crew, upon leaving Canada, it showed pictures of the Vulcan display and a record of all the social functions etc, they had attended during their stay.
Hope these memories will be of interest to the “Vulcan enthusiasts” and maybe someone might be able provide me with some additional information to go with it.