PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC-4
Thread: DC-4
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2007, 11:41
peterpallet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC-4 fond memory

Not really relevant to this subject, but I thought I might be able to find out who the pilot of this particular DC-4 was.

I was on a ship that blew up in 1964 off the coast of Oman and after a while we ended up in Aden where we waited for a chartered DC-4 to come and take us home.

The pilot was also the owner of the plane and we all got to have a sit in the RH seat on the way from Aden to Cairo ( 8 hrs !).

I know it was the 2nd of September 1964 when we landed in Cairo because my Seamans Discharge book has a stamp from the Egyptian authorities in it ( all our passports had been lost in the casualty).

After 10 hrs in Cairo our pilot took off for Southend Airport hoping to make it in one hit, unfortunately for him ( and us) we ran into a thunderstorm (which was most unpleasant) over Greece and we had to do a 180 to get out of it. This meant we had to land at Paris Orly to refuel which according to the pilot meant no profit for that trip.

We landed at Southend a few hours later.

The Company was Transmeridian which I believe went onto much greater things, I certainly hope so.