PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2007, 11:31
vs69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although im not in the same position as most of the people posting here I can certainly appreciate where Scroggs is coming from,in any job with a high degree of training and time spent getting qualified be it lawyer, pilot, engineer etc (sorry as a B1 licence holder I had to throw that last one in there) the only upshot I can see from people being ready to work for free is that it will cheapen your proffession and undermine all your hard work and time spent aspiring to a respectable well paid job.
At the same time with the industry being in the state it is in,as mentioned before on this thread, airlines can afford to be picky but it doesnt help the newly qualified fATPL holder who needs to keep his hours up (ie get a job) but cant get a job because he doesnt have enough hours - Catch 22 anybody?
In maintenance we are already seeing the result of people willing to work for less/cheap labour rates on a grand scale with the outsourcing of heavy maintenance to cheaper providers in cheaper countries - is that relevant here?Maybe not on the surface but hopefully it may provide food for thought.
Just my two cents worth...Good luck to all of you who are job hunting.