PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2007, 10:24
Bandit650

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs: Yes, I see the point there. Not unique to aviation though of course.

My current work faces a degree of competition from "offshore" companies in India/Far East, where they can employ the same skill for a fraction of the cost. But, in general, it doesnt happen; largely because they need the experience factor..i.e we make sure we offer a higher quality service to the lo-cost alternative (and ultimately turns out better value).

So, isn't this therefore also about, at one level, the airline's belief (rightly or wrongly) that the job really doesnt need experienced staff anymore - and that experience no longer brings anything relevant to the job? Is this a valid observation? Do the airlines not believe a more experienced pilot can perform the job "better" i.e more efficiently, than an inexperienced pilot? Surely the pilot's decision making on the day can bring a positive contribution to the profitability of the flight (after safety obviously), and by hiring and paying more for, experienced pilots they are actually saving money?? Either they are stupid and/or very short-sighted or the days of skilled flying really are over and its the pilots who are simply the last to admit it??

Comments on a postcard pls. I hope its the former of the two propositions!

Last edited by Bandit650; 21st Feb 2007 at 13:25.