PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happens to my flightplan?
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2007, 08:49
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
- I understand from various websites that the UK ATC system is a little "lax" (for lack of a better word; this is not meant as criticism) in closing flightplans, to the annoyance of FR/BE/NL controllers who are stuck with open flightplans of planes that have left for the UK, and whose plans are not being closed. Is this true?
This is the first I've ever heard of this, and I don't see where the problem is? It's not the responsibility of the departure airfield to initiate Search And Rescue operation, so they have no need to know whether you have arrived at your destination. IFR flights in the IFPS region don't have their FPL's closed - how many flights every day is that? (several thousand).

What if your arival is after the departure aerodrome has closed - are they going to sit there until you've arrived or are they going to shut at normal time? I think we both know the answer to this. I suspect what you have read is a little bit of an "urban myth" and would like to see something more substantial than "website chat" to back it up

How do I make sure that my plan is indeed closed if I fly to the UK? Any other countries/places I should be aware of?
I don't think it's necessary, as you've probably gathered from the above. However, in Fld 18 of the FPL you could put "RMK/ REQ ARR to EHRDZTZX" (for example). When you arrive at your destination the ATS unit at your destination will send an ARR (arrival) message to your departure aerodrome (Rotterdam in this case).

Could someone from the UK comment on this whole "Responsible Person" thing?
Rather than formally close your FPL you personally nominate a responsible person (maybe the people who you are visiting) to notify the authorities in the event that you do not turn up at your destination. Bear in mind that this is really aimed at internal, non FPL flights, or flights terminating at an airfield without any form of ATS unit.

If you are flying on a FPL (which if the flight is international you will) and a DEP message is sent (which, if the flight is VFR, it should be) the ATS unit at the destination aerodrome effectively becomes your "responsible person" (provided you've planned to arrive there during the hours they are open). If you want to make sure this happens - again, Field 18 if the FPL again - "RMK/REQ DEP TO ????ZTZX" (???? being the ICAO code of the destination aerodrome).