PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Discrimination: Fighting the CAA! (+ update)
Old 20th Feb 2007, 20:17
Xavier Dosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys & girls,

Well, I’ve signed the petition and would encourage everyone to sign it. I genuinely hope that we are able to make a difference and change the legislation.

This is my take/response to some of the previous posts

Whirlybird – you’re comments at the top of the page do add a well balanced response to some of our previous posts. Very well said indeed!

Thecontroller - I don’t agree that commercial pilots should be made to stop flying at 60. The point about making way for youngsters doesn’t stack with me and I’m afraid I can’t see anything good about it.

I have the pleasure of working with inexperienced CPL’s who have self financed the majority (if not all) of their training and have made significant financial commitment to get where they are now. I also work with very experienced CPL’s who were fortunate enough to learn to fly helicopters in the forces. We need both! It is hugely important that new talent comes into the market and I’m sure we’re all agreed on that. I think that the balance more recently is very good. I enjoy seeing/hearing the more junior pilots enthusing about some of the flying that they have been doing and likewise we benefit from having the experienced pilots to pass on their wisdom.

The onshore helicopter charter market in the U.K has lost some hugely experienced pilots over the last 2/3 years and is likely to lose a few more over the next 4/5 years. It is not appropriate, in any industry, that individuals who reach 60 are simply presented with a fait a comply!

Just one more point on qualifications etc… I agree that operators are becoming increasingly keen to employ pilots with an I/R. However, this is not entirely because the operator needs you to have an I/R. If they operate single engine aircraft or even VFR twins – then there is no requirement for an I/R. You can get some very good experience flying single engine Day/VFR helicopters and then progress. If you would like to fly IFR squirrels or A109s etc – then you ought to have an I/R. There’s no benefit in sending a VFR pilot flying in an IFR aircraft of vice-versa. If the demand is now for, two engines, two pilots and IFR capability – then the supply needs to accommodate this requirement.

But you can’t kick the senior boys/girls out just because they’re now 60 +

XD