PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2007, 15:56
TelBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get your points guys and do agree that action is needed, but not to only be slapped by further restrictions. Take Australia - for CPL they do not have ANY colour vision standards, but if you cannot pass a colour vision test, you can only fly in OZ - not a lot of use really.

This extract from 2Close is VERY interesting - "Disability Rights Commission stated that, to conform with the requirements of the DDA, the CAA could only refuse to issue a Class 1 medical certificate to a CVD pilot if they could prove that the person was not competent to hold such a certificate" Do you think if you hold an unrestricted class 1 FAA medical after all an ICAO state that that would be grounds for action.

As for the CAA/JAA failing to protect us from the CVD's - well we all know that the FAA HAS tested ALL of its pilots by a more informed and practical test than Europe and indeed they these people do NOT represent a problem.

In short YES we DO need change. If legal action is the only way, then that is what is needed, but just remember guys the CAA/JAA has a lot more money to fight the legal process than hard up pilots and while the CAA are in fact reviewing changes the legal process is likely to take a LONG time. But with regards to personal circumstances then I feel that each individual should fight under the DDA. I am indeed gathering ammo right now - will keep you all informed.

As for new tests PRACTICAL is the only way - no screening, let EVERYONE do a practical test. It will cost more and be more difficult to administer, but hey we all have to do a skills test don't we!!