PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Discrimination: Fighting the CAA! (+ update)
Old 20th Feb 2007, 14:39
Rushes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a phrase that seems to have been doing the rounds since Pontious was a pilot.......'There is a mushroom shape to the age in aviation, there are many experienced pilots about to retire and the industry is crying out for younger pilots to start moving through'.......or something very similar... the essence is there.

I have heard this for many years, people I have met along the way who were at the time wishing to break into commercial rotary aviation have quoted that or something similar to me, having heard it themselves at a training school, seminar or read it in a publication.

I think those endeavouring to get that break (R1 Tamer) sometimes find the wait frustrating, though I do get the impression that the North Sea market has been more active recently, and i guess those without any ties have found a move to this sector more straight forward. There will be those however, who through personal circumstance are not able to relocate so easily and are thus more limited with their choice.

I guess more frustrating (possibly to the employer and customer alike) is the ever widening void of experience that seems to be appearing in the onshore market as not only the hours and experience, but also ratings and IR's seem to become ever more expensive and further out of reach to the self-funded individual.

I agree with Vertical Hold, it is this gap that is becoming harder to bridge and desparatly so, is the pay and scheduling in the offshore market that good that people are comfortably off and staying there in the offshore environment?... As V Hold says, onshore companies can't afford to provide people with these ratings and this experience.

On the note of age discrimination..... it being the separate topic that it is, if you can pass your medicals, however frequently they are set, then you should be able to fly public transport, at least to bring this industry inline with many others.

Last edited by Rushes; 20th Feb 2007 at 21:05.