PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue EBA
Thread: Virgin Blue EBA
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2007, 14:38
resboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1:36 slowly going out the window?

I also read that press release and found the 189 seats on an -800 very interesting indeed from a Cabin Crew perspective.

Given that DJ are now able to operate the -800 with only 4 crew an extra 9 or 12 pax raises some important questions.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but CASA granted DJ the reduced crew exemption not on the basis of a 1:50 ratio (otherwise they could have gone 3 crew on the -700), but on the basis that on the -800 all 4 primary exits were still covered by crew and overwing passengers received a more detailed pre-departure briefing.

Does this exemption still hold when the aircraft has 189 pax? If you were to operate with only 4 crew on a 189 seat -800 you would effectively be TWO crew members down as under normal CASA regulations of the 1:36 ratio 6 crew would be required to operate with 189 pax. Where does one draw the line in the sand?

Very clever work on DJ's behalf perhaps? Get a special approval to operate with less crew and then subsequently increase the seating config. Is this possible!?!?

Last edited by resboy; 20th Feb 2007 at 14:52. Reason: Added stuff ...