PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2007, 11:48
TelBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ww/W To be fair the CAA are looking into new colour vision standards, although they are being slow!!

As "potential" professional pilots we must all take responsibility for saftey and allow due processes to make sure that final desissions are what is correct and in the larger interest. We must overlook personal difficulties as if we do eventually reach our aims, we will be responsible for the lives of hundreds of people on a daily basis and I for one would sacrafice my own dreams, rather than put lives in danger.

However I am concerned that the new "PAPI" test people are talking about would not test for green. For me this would be an advantage and I think I would pass no problems, but green is an aviation colour!

In my own view the FAA procedures of practical testing are right and appropriate as they are based on what pilots need, rather than looking at dots or light boxes. If 8% of males are "colour blind" then take for example how many professional male US pilots there are - how many of these have had to pass the practical tests! Although company medicals and bias against the SODA waiver will root out a few, our skys must be full of FAA qualified pilots that could NOT pass JAA standards, however how many have had accedents caused by colour vision (none to my knowledge, although I will stand correction of course).

As for taking the CAA to court, I do not think it will help. If "we" win then we are likely to be restricted in so many ways that it would not be of any use (like Australia!!).

Maybe a poll sent to the JAA for European and US harmonisation so that we can all have a practical test - maybe a night flight test - maybe even with glass cockpit so that ALL the ICAO can have very similar standards and maintain saftey without compromising peoples rights against discrimination in the workplace.