PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2007, 11:34
stuharri2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Dear

I have to say that this post does not make nice reading!!

I have wanted to be a pilot for many years now but like many people I opted to take a safe route to start with. This basically meant getting a degree in aerospace. I then worked for a gas turbine company to pay off my student debts and get myself on the PPL ladder. This has taken many years and now I am in a position to 'go for it' - be it sponsored (whatever that means nowadays) or self funded. However, I have made the hardest decision of all - to give up my dream. Why? Well I have matured now and certain things have become more important to me. I won't work for free, and I won't accept a sponsorship deal that leaves me with 0 every month after I have paid back by loans and accomadation & food etc. Thats no kind of life! I also now have a partner to think about, and while she will support me in everything I want to do, I can't and won't ask her to put our life (not just financial) in jepody just to achieve my dream. Its a partnetship and thus you have to take into consideration their dreams and asperations as well.
I also have a traditonal view that getting into this industry should be about your personal abilities and not the amount of risk you are willing to take financially. My view is that the state the industry is in today is because of the amount of young people (well maybe not just the young) willing to take any T&C's and any fincancial risk. This maybe in part because of their age and maturity level. When I was 18 I certainly would have gone for the type of sponsorship that is offered today. At that age you aren't programmed to think of the bigger picture such as how to I pay it back, how do I afford to eat etc.
I know the people of this forum want to realise their dream but please think about the cost - both personal and monetary. Also think about the effect that accepting certain T&C's or even working for free, will have in the future - traditional sponsorships have died out and the ones that exist now are much like self funded anyway. If people continue to accept this type of entry into the industry then companys will continue to push the boundaries - who knows where it will end up. If they can get something for nothing then they will.

So what will I do now - well I am having a career change from being an engineer (a desk one!!) and am training to be an electrician. I will fly for fun in my spare time. Its the hardest decison I ever made but its the right one for me. While it wont allow to to afford ferrari's etc it will be a job which I will wake up and think "I can't wait to go to work' and it will enable me and my partner to live in comfort.

Anyway thats just my 2p's worth. (also please excuse my spelling - its not good today!)

cheers

Stu