PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth - Landing Fees !!
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2007, 09:03
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all due respect Al, why would halving the landing fee increaase GA traffic? There is not a lot down there for GA unlike the CI where the novelty factor alone of flying to the Islands draws people. Not to mention the local welcome and facilities. The South coast is a sailing haven and really only the uber rich can fly down to there boat for a weekend!!!

Bournemouth does not have the draw or more "exotic" places and so they have played the survival game and gone for airline business.

I would like nothing more than having an endliss list of Instrument equipped 5 Star restuarant airfields at my beck and call but even the prolific number of hours I fly multiplied by the number of regular GA pilots out there would not generate the revenue of a months worth of CAT flights.

We have to be realistic. Lets face it look at the AV8 when it first started it was popular, then a few bad comments and the business droppped off, the English weather rolled in and it went tits up. These wonderful facilities you crave at the big places like Bourneomouth, these active GA ramps etc. Who fills them and makes them pay when the weather is poor?