PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defopax
Thread: Defopax
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2007, 01:34
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT, I can vouch for 404. And he is not left seat yet.
If you really don't want CX to know who you are log in under different names and have people log in for you when you are flying. It is simple mathematics to work out peoples identities on this forum.

Busy B, HKG is an anachronism in the modern business world. Until communist china feels that old pilots have rights I think it will be quite a while before RA60 is forced onto us. The base issues...hmmm...lets see what happens. Maybe that is the way it will go. If you stay in hkg, it is 55RA, if you go on a base it is 60? But that is a major change to our COS so, as you know, I have always assumed it is something we have to agree to...ie a vote!

cpdude

Please inform us math deficient plebs how RA60 "accelerates" time to command? Remember KT has a maths degree, 404 has an accounting degree.

Let me attempt to preempt your reply. If all C+T are 55, we can EXTEND them. But that costs the company money as then there is bypass pay. If the company knows that it will have to extend them, it will plan ahead and not train up new C+Ts and that will also mean it will not need to upgrade new line CNs to replace those that would have been upgraded to C+T. If they knew they couldn't extend, they would have to train up lots more CNs in advance of any expansion. Its not like we dont have years notice of any aircraft arriving so they have plenty of notice for their planning.

One more point, please tell me how 300 captains not retiring over a 5 year period will only delay an FO's upgrade by a year or two. Lets say CX planned 600commands over the next 5 years...I think it is about 120 for this year. If no one retires for the next five years, we only need 300 commands. So FO number 301 today would have had his command in 30months now has to wait 5 years.So all FOs/SOs more than 300 on the seniority list will have their command delayed by at least 2 1/2 years. There will also be knock on effect to FO upgrades. Any downturn will exacerbate that time. cpdude, do you have any idea what that means in terms of career earnings? You are 2 to 3increments lower in rank at 55 than you would have been. I haven't done an NPV calculation yet (but I will) but my best guess is that you break even at around 59. Great, increase to RA60 and then spend 4 years extra working just to get where you would have been if RA55 had stayed. Still cpdude, there is a silver lining. At least at 59 you are 4 years closer to dieing so less time to spend the money you have;-)

Lastly cpdude, please explain how needing to upgrade 300 less captains over the next 5 years will speed up everyones command...in an expansion or static scenario? I dont mind you using non 'simple' maths if that is what it takes.