PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YSBK: Another aircraft down but safe
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2007, 21:32
StickWithTheTruth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe some of the comments here!

Stop flying / ground an aircraft because there were 2 failure's in a short space of time? Get real! Sounds like a bunch of arm-chair Jabiru pilots!

As someone posted earlier there are hundreds of these aircraft flying and over 1,000 of their engines out there world wide in all conditions.

I know of a school that runs 6 of them and they weren't having engine failures at 100 hours. Last look two of them were over 1,600 hours, the other 2 around 1,200 and the remaining 2 were 800 and not one single engine issue from day 1, operating in temperatures up to and over 40 degrees. That being said there are many of them out there as J430 says with 5000 - 7000 hours and still going strong, albiet, probably not on the original engine. Bottom end on these engines can be as high as 4,500 hours, according to the head of the engine department.

The POH says 40 degrees maximum operating temperature at MTOW. There is however no mention or scale for operating at lower MTOW's.

I doubt that it was too hot for the aircraft.

As it's been said earlier, these engines come from a CAD / CAM design facility with state of the art milling machines, the likes of which are not used anywhere else in Australia. They are manufactured to exact tolerances and every one is identical.

A previous poster has suggested that he knew all about what happened, but when asked to call the factory for the facts, disappeared off the radar? What happened when he called, if he in fact did?