PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 19th Feb 2007, 21:12
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Icarus2001, you appear to be a classic fundamentalist. Unfortunately there is no such thing as 100% safety, or 100% compliance of anything. Are you really suggesting that if we mandate everything we will have 100% safety?

I can assure you that most aircraft that mix with my aircraft in a non-radar environment are transponder equipped. However, even if it was only 5% of aircraft, that is 5% extra safety I can obtain. I would never take for granted that all aircraft were transponder equipped – that is why I remain as visually alert as I can at all times.

You state:

Then again most doesn't really help does it. One mid air is enough
You are completely wrong. “Most” does help – even if it is only a 5% improvement, it is certainly a help. This means that there is less chance of having a midair collision.

I can see why you remain anonymous and don’t put your real name to the posts.

I can assure you that every additional aircraft that is fitted with TCAS in this country slightly improves safety. Many airline aircraft of between 10 and 30 passengers are not TCAS equipped. This is not so in other leading aviation countries.

You can go on with every bit of obfuscation that you want to, however the facts are simple. If we followed the mandatory requirements that existed in the USA, we would improve safety.

Just as every aircraft (including airline aircraft) were not always on the correct radio frequency in an MBZ, the same situation exists in a CTAF. As I have stated above, safety is not absolute, but anything we do which is additional, and is affordable without reducing participation, is surely worthwhile.