PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aborted landings/Go-Arounds
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2007, 20:08
A Very Civil Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. Easyjet 737 at GVA - dramatic go-around as aircraft entered the flare - reason given as cabin not secure but I found that very suspect as we were only 20-30ft above the runway.
Yesterday 19:01
The seatbelt signs go on at about 10 ten minutes to go giving the cc enough time to secure the cabin. If we get a short cut from ATC it might mean that the cabin is not quite secure in time. depending on the day, you can leave it as long as you dare, but if there is no secure by crossing the threshold - go around.
As I understand it, the speed and timing of an RTO can make it either a non event or very much an event for the drivers, perhaps a line pilot would like to comment?
The closer it is to V1, the hairier it is! Generally we will stop for anything below 80 kt, but between 80 and V1 we'll be looking out for engine fire, confirmed engine failure, runway obstruction and control malfunction. The closer you get to V1 the more sure you have to be that there is a better reason for stopping, and not continuing the take-off.
I still remember thinking, after the second attempt (forgive me guys & gals I'm a mere PAX), isn't it the third time it all goes wrong? Please... feel free to div to BHX!!!
Generally if it's a weather problem, you can make two approaches before needing to divert to your alternate. A third can be made if there is a reasonable certainty that the weather is improving and a successful landing can be made (that's in our operations manual anyway)
They had 3 aborted attempts at landing in Birmingham (I witnessed attempt 3 as they were half way down the runway at about 4m and "overshot" - BA's word) before being told by the pilot that they needed to divert to Manchester. They then had 2 attempts at getting down (luckily the second attempt was a good one) and were slightly surprised to find that they were on the ground at East Midlands instead.
Sounds like one hell of a night. Unfortunately the workload becomes astronomical; calls to ATC, getting weather updates, calls to company for diversion preferences, fuel calculations, weather avoidance etc - that a simple pa to the pax really gets put to the bottom of the list. Sorry, but flying the plane comes above the niceties.