PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 19th Feb 2007, 03:53
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Chris, where is the evidence that ADS-B is better for solving the “inherent risks of mid-air collision in non-radar environments between VFR and IFR aircraft” compared to TCAS? None of the ADS-B units that have been made can give a Resolution Advisory – TCAS can, and it has saved many lives.

I don’t think the world is flat, I just know that we already have a very workable TCAS/transponder system for reducing the risk of midair collisions, whereas at the present time we do not have an existing ADS-B system.

I think we have to be very careful in allowing the boffins to design something which is technically superior, but in practice is no safer.

As I’ve said again and again, I support ADS-B, but only when it is properly designed and certified. I’m told this is at least a decade away, whereas at the present time we have a very workable TCAS approved system which will work with both Mode C and Mode S transponders.

I have TCAS in two of my aircraft and it is fantastic. It picks up most aircraft in a non-radar environment as most aircraft are transponder equipped. No, it is not perfect, just as ADS-B will not be perfect, but it is available now - so surely we should encourage as many aircraft to be fitted as possible.