PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Discrimination: Fighting the CAA! (+ update)
Old 18th Feb 2007, 19:50
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not forgetting anything! For example, if the police requirement is for 1,500 hours, then it's 1,500 hours and has nothing to do with age.

I doubt there are many unemployed pilots with that level of hours under their belt (and if they are unemployed, it's probably because of attitude problems) so requiring pilots to retire earlier than the rest of the workforce (as is the current situation) will not help those who do not have the experience or aptitude.

Retirement ages will not affect the rotary employment marketplace. There are too many other considerations (e.g. IR as has been touched upon) for maintenance of the status quo to alter the current situation.

It has often been mooted that there is a shortage of suitably qualified and experience pilots anyway and I do know of North Sea pilots who are staying on as co-pilots past 60 because they are needed but would quite like to retire.

In order to change the employment market, there has to be changes in the way operators train pilots and insurance impositions that are laid down.

Cheers

Whirls