PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - teaching stalls
Thread: teaching stalls
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2007, 08:57
jamestkirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holding it in

Let just be clear.

I DID NOT say hold it in the stall. I said experience a fully developed stall. That just means as soon as the nose drops, with whatever characteristic, we recover.

The oscillatory stall is not a technique i use. (i.e holding the aircraft in, while preventing wing drop with the rudder).

The book does state how to recover from 1. A stall and 2. Stall at the incipient stage. In my mind you cannot show a student how to un-stall a wing when it has never been stalled. The CFS expression of nose drop, we, drop, wing drop. is probably the best way to describe it. The book uses slightly different wording but it's just semantics.

It's unusual for a flying school to restrict the teaching of a fully developed stall. But if you are talking about oscillatory stalling then i agree.

Also it depends on the aircraft. Some instructors don't like spinning ansd some refuse to spin a Tomahawk. Different argument but as someone says it depends on your own experience level. I also have students who have never done slow flight below 65 knots (C152).

For person to hold a PPL and never have experienced a stall is quite alarming.

Lots of people have incidents in IMC regardless if they have a IMC/IR. We still teach it though.