PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lynx Attack Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 22:49
w1ngnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the IFTU did the first missile firing tests on the Lynx, the shock of the missile leaving the tube was so large that it caused all the breakers to trip. By all accounts the pilot almost wet himself.....
Also, did you know that the Army Air Corps hated the Lynx sooooo much, that the IFTU burnt the first one within weeks of getting it?
Only kidding.
They had a mishap whilst doing a compressor wash, the tech manual was wrong. It had 80% Kero to 20% water for the washing mix instead of the other way round. When the mech turned on the washing rig the engine suffered a massive surge and set fire to the aircraft, eventually burning the tailboom off.
It was so funny watching all the ground crew trying to put it out, like the clowns at the circus!
We shared a hangar at Wallop with the IFTU and my mate brought in an Airfix model of the Lynx and when they weren't looking he put it in the bay where the burnt Lynx used to live. I cannot remember exactly now, but I think Hobo took a lighter to it to make it look more lifelike.
Needless to say, they were not best pleased.

Cheers

Trev