PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - teaching stalls
Thread: teaching stalls
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 20:38
TurboJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have taken PPL holders on check out rides and asked then to fully stall the aircraft. On more than one occasion they kept recovering on the stall warner.

On closer questioning they said that they have never fully stalled the aircraft and/or experienced a wing drop, which is pretty likely with 30 degrees of flap and 1500 rpm, therefore never recovered from one.
James T

I would be interested on your views given your comments quoted above.

I used to demonstrate a fully developed stall with all the symptoms including 'nose nod.' I also admittedly, frequently, got my students to recover from a fully developed stall until I read the following:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/G-FORS%203-06.pdf

In a nutshell it recommends that fully developed stalls which result in 'oscillatory stalls' or 'nose nod' are not necessary and inappropriate in flight training.

Since then and in the light of this report, my CFI has recommended we do not demonstrate fully developed stalls which result in oscillatory motion and students should be taught the symptoms of approaching the stall and how to recover.

Regardless of whether I agree with this or not, I value my job and therefore have to comply.

Having read about your experiences that you posted above it would indicate that my FTO is not alone in this but schools merely complying with aaib recommendations.