PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skew-t diagrams
Thread: Skew-t diagrams
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 20:31
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not that simple. My whole function presently is finding weather, flying into it, disecting it, recording it, findign as much ice as I can, and exploring it with all kinds of bizarre little sensors hanging off collecting ice, getting struck by lightening, and all the other things that come from being in weather. I'm backed by an international team of scientists who do understand this data, and brief me on it every morning. Further, I collect the data that becomes the SkewT for the following day, in person.

When I get up there, the weather doesn't look anything like the chart. You can't really look at it and say that you're going to get clouds between 12,000 and 15,000, and so forth. Were often surprised by the weather we see, even when looking at soundings taken a few hours before.

You can, however, look at winds and temperatures aloft and note the temps for your altitude. Some of this is on the Skew-T, but once more, it's a theoretical plot of actual data, spread out downwind of a point in space, which may or may not represent what you'll really find when you get there. The gist of the chart is that it's showing you the temperature and dewpoint spread t any given altitude.

You'll find much more meaningful information in your winds and temperatures aloft forecasts, which appy over a given area to your specific flight level. It's really an amalgamation of multiple soundings put into a mosaic, which you can't get from a single skew-t chart.

You shouldn't necessarily try to plan the flight to be betwen layers...you don't really have that option, nor have that data available. You can pick a temperature to fly...you're going to find some of your maximum icing at the minus ten C level...especially where convective activity exists. Where the supercooed water is most abundant...and just above the cloud base, especially in freezing temperatures. Plan on knowing where warm weather is, and plan your trip for the winds. Avoid the levels between plus five and minus fifteen, and you'll miss lot of the ice. Otherwise, look at radar plots, look at your TAF, and plan accordingly.

The skew-t isn't made for you; it's made for meteorologists. You can use it to come degree, but it's more useful for lookiing at convection and stability than for specifics you might use to plan a flight.