View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 19:22
Droopystop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turmoil

For those that are interested a friend brought this to my attention
PRESS STATEMENT:
MACNEIL CALLS ON TRANSPORT MINISTER TO INTERVENE AT HIAL

Na h-Eileanan an Iar SNP MP Angus MacNeil, has written to the Transport Minister, Tavish Scott MSP, asking him to intervene and investigate what is happening within the Scottish Executive funded company Highlands and Islands Airports Limited. Mr MacNeil has compared the present situation at HIAL with the situation at the Western Isles NHS Board 12 months ago. Staff morale at the company is low, with a number of personnel leaving during the past year.

Mr MacNeil said “Over the past few weeks it has become evident that there are difficulties within HIAL. There is a situation at Stornoway Airport, where a shortage of fully trained Air Traffic Controllers is affecting flight departures, and now reducing the Airport’s opening times. Management should never have allowed this to arise and from all the noises I am hearing from within HIAL, both on the islands and the mainland this is an outward sign of inward turmoil.

“We have to remember that the job of an Air Traffic Controller is not the same as a Driver or a Member of Parliament - it takes 3 months of validation to become a fully trained Air Traffic Controller. Therefore, it is of huge importance to find out how this shortage of staff came about, and to ensure that the management does not let it happen again.

“Over and above the Stornoway situation there have been major management changes at HIAL HQ in Inverness, and I am also hearing of disquiet at other airports.

He added “It took about six months of asking last year before the Health Minister; Andy Kerr listened and looked into the problems at the Health Board. I am now asking the Transport Minister Tavish Scott MSP, to intervene and find out what is happening at the public owned company. A good Government will react quickly to the slightest hint of a problem.”

We have heard so much about the dire goings on within HIAL, could this be what is needed?