PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How bad is bocs
Thread: How bad is bocs
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 14:45
FormerFlake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OpsO,

I didn't claim I made valid points, just that valid points were made. And how do I know the points were ignored? This is 2 Gp we are talking about.

I'm sure the S/L (I though he was leaving?) who is trying to get it working is the best person for the job and will do his very best to get it sorted. I hope for his sanitiy and all those involved that BOCS can do the job.

However,

In all fairness, ops planning/management systems are a complete nightmare. It does not matter how well designed they are, how clever they are how much they automate functions. At the end of the day they are only as good as the information entered into them. This either has to come from companies like Jepessen or manual entry. In most cases it is manual entry that is used for most data and this is were most systems fall down. The system I use in my civy job is not too bad (would suite 2 Gps needs very well actually) and is used to plan and manage more flights in 1 month than 2 Gp fly in a year. We also have more aircraft types and fly to more different airfields in a month than 2 Gp would fly to in a year. Yet still, when it really comes down to it you need manpower to make it all work. Some one has to physically enter data, check automated warnings and so on. Manpower is something 2 Gp and the Stns sadly do not have (and we don't really have either). Plus 2 Gp also have the added issues of COMSEC and I would be suprised (and pleased) if those issues have been fully sorted out with BOCS.

Last edited by FormerFlake; 17th Feb 2007 at 17:42.