PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Your first flight
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 11:41
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I later went up and was amazed to see the boy in the captains seat!

Flying back to Singapore from UK leave, around 1977, we'd levelled off after leaving Calcutta. Middle of the afternoon, BA 747, and half full. My two boys, 6 and 9 years old, were restless and the F/E came walking past. 'Any chance I can take them to the flight deck' I ask. 'No problem, go upstairs and talk to the 'hostie'.

So off we went and arrived at the flight-deck door. F/O is at the F/E's panel, right hand seat is empty. The Captain turns around, ignores me and says 'Come in lads. Ever flown a 747?' he says to the elder. 'Er - No'.
'Jump in and I'll show you how'. Number 1 son gets himself into the right hand seat and off comes the Autopilpot. 'OK' says Cap, 'Turn right'.
And right we go. 'Now come back onto (heading) or we'll get lost'.

This went on for five minutes or so, snaking our way across the Bay of Bengal.
Then younger son has a go but can't see over the glare shield. No problem says Cap, 'Just watch the big ball in front of you'. And off we go again.

After fifteen minutes or so, Cap turns to me and says, 'What do you do in Singapore?' .. he'd realised from the boys' comments that they knew something of aircraft living, as we did, on Seletar airfield.

I was tempted to mention the CAA who had an office in KL, but he was too nice a guy for that sort of shock. Surname began with V I recall.

How the world has changed. You try and tell youngsters that today .................