PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFT vs CABAR vs OAT.
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 11:19
early_bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Scroggs. I have researched the threads allot, its just that I haven't been able to read every post on every thread (except for the AFT thread as this one is short when compared to the others) i.e. those dating back 4 years etc. I've mainly been looking posts which were made in the last 2-3 years as those prior seem to be giving outdated info. and therefore contradicting present posts. The same goes for the Integrated vs. Modular debate.

I also realize that training costs always have, and always will be an issue for all but a very select few. With this in mind, it's inevitable that the cost of a particular FTOs program will have an impact on the individual’s final decision. But this is not my money and therefore that aspect/ gut feeling, which has proved crucial to other's decisions in the past, is not with me.
The OAT program includes JOC and First Officer Fundamentals, the Cabair program also includes similar 'extras' the AFT program has no such extras....does this justify the added costs?

Would someone who went to OAT for instance, although having the same ratings and scores as another who went to Cabair, have a certain prestige about them? e.g. If I had gained a Msc from The University of Cambridge, and you had gained a Msc (in the same subject and with the same scores) from the University of Salford.....Wouldn't the guy who studied at the well known and well respected Cambridge get the job? I know it's not really that simple but bear with me.
Does this prestige, if any, justify some of the costs?

Basically I've been told that if all three of the aforementioned FTOs provide to same outcome, we will go with the most cost effective FTO.

So at the end of the day, do these FTOs "really" provide the same outcome?

Thanks for reading this somewhat long and mind-numbing post,
Cheers all,
E.B

BTW: I am not situated in the UK and neither is 'my' Govt, however we are a BritishOverseasTerritory. A colleague has been calling, visiting etc with these FTOs on my/ the Govts. behalf.