PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Your first flight
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2007, 15:39
peterpallet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow- Your first flight

I arrived at Heathrow in 1959 (I think, youŽll have to forgive me as I have a lousy memory except for the important things in life one of which is mentioned below) after a memorable flight ( my very first) from Singapore.

I was 19 years old in the M.N. and having been away form home 11 months my Company paid for me to fly. The plane was a Brittania whose 4 engines kept going all the way.

We were treated royally, I seem to remember most of our meals being served on the ground at properly laid tables and waiters smartly dressed.

1. We flew Singapore-Colombo-Bombay-Karachi-Beirut-Rome then Heathrow. Due to the runway being blocked at Bombay (a plane ahead of us crashed on landing-so we were told, we had to make it to Karachi instead.

2. On the Singapore to Colombo leg we were able to view a couple one of whom had flown from Sydney and one who got on board at Singapore ( who had presumably never met before) join the "mile high club" decently covered by a tartan rug.

That was our in-flight entertainment and very enjoyable too.

Thanks to all the BOAC pilots who I flew with and BA also, having spent many happy cockpit hours since that first flight ( The good old days)

Peter