PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2007, 13:27
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Telboy,

The new tests are a screening test that you can view at City University's website, which it is proposed would be followed by a PAPI simulator that uses Red and White lights only.

I flew the ILS into a UK international airport the other day and had no problem identifying the PAPI lights from 6nm out - I have no idea how many PAPIs I've used during landings over the last 15 years but I can honestly say that their appearance does not appear remotely similar to the PAPI simulator.

Also, a point I have raised before, is that introduction of the simulator is discriminatory against protonomalous CVD persons as they may be unable to detect the red/white whereas a deuteronomalous person may be able to detect the red/white difference but be completely unable to discriminate between greens and other colours. Therefore, the latter may have a far worse form of CVD but be granted a Cl.1 medical on the basis of succesfully passing the PAPI simulator whereas the former, with a relatively mild red/white CVD, may be denied the medical.

2close