PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices GBAS announcement – a disaster for GA
Old 16th Feb 2007, 09:06
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizofoz

Thank you, you too seem to remember the actual environment when it was an NDB/DME environment and the excitement when VANX became available. My charts from that period are long gone but if my memory serves me correctly in WA at least, there were maybe 6 VOR in total. Glad we didn't have to wait for the diesel trains.

Mr Smith

That is, if we go it alone with our small population we could end up wasting a lot of money.
it cuts both ways, we could also end up saving a lot of money.

200MHZ DME was a unique solution to a unique airspace problem and it wasn't cheap either. But considering that many aircraft of the day were not equipped with VOR nor were there all that many, it was even then a very cost effective solution for our unique Australian environment. The subsequent Int DME add on, colocated and integrated with installations of new and existing VOR as the traffic and equipment fit progresed was also a cost effective move. Correct decisions made professionally by experienced people in the context of the existing environment

You would have to admit Australians are very good at making do in the context of available money available to them and their environment. It is a fact that in GA we use mostly US designed aircraft in a manner and at a utilisation rate that the manufacturers never intended. Australians then complain at the cost of maintenance. Our 19 to 30 passenger fleet is largely superannuated and with old avionics technology in the cockpit. You must agree the costs of ugrading the avionics technology is in many cases more than the value of the aircraft. The ugrade however isn't reflected in the used value.

Maybe Airservices have recognised that and are providing a cheaper more user/cost friendly technology.

I also find your continual harping about imagined Airservices executive bias towards their bonuses not only offensive but not worthy of you. Many are my personal friends and many more aquaintances, to a man they are internationally respected professionals dedicated to the provision of excellent service. They are also businessmen not only subject to direct Senate scrutiny on ALL their actions, but by the market place. You must also agree that as businessmen if they dont get their technology decisions right the market place will punish them mercilessly.