PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetBlue passengers stuck on board for hours.
Old 16th Feb 2007, 07:17
Crepello

Shining Example, apparently...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In response to IO's posting and speaking as a regular pax, private pilot, platinum FF, Nobel laureate and blah blah blah; I'm neither proud nor snooty and would much rather have a regular 9-to-5 which would allow me some work/life balance. However:

1) Granted. We take the lowest bid, just as we do for cars, music and groceries. And in the case of business travel, if we pay more than we have to, we're called in for an unfriendly chat.

2) Didn't seem to hit other JFK operators in the same way, which might suggest that some folks on the ground might have some "learning points".

3) Would be grateful of further input, as my impression was that as long as the mtce is to FAA requirements, the rest shouldn't be a great concern to pax or flightcrew. Brutal I know, but business is business. Fatigue is more of a concern, and makes me wonder about regulatory balance between the demands of the market and what's fair - or healthy - to demand of flightcrew.

4) To me, that's the whole pricing structure these days, applicable to just about anything - see #1. An airline makes money on the differnce betweeen marginal cost vs market tolerance, and hopes economies of scale make it all worthwhile.

As for the rest - if we were really at the stage (and perhaps we are?) when cost-consciousness drives de-icing down to a level beneath what's required for safe operation of an aircraft, then I'd be deeply concerned.

Lest it should be seen that I'm towing a line here, I'm not. To keep pax aboard a grounded aircraft for even ONE hour is excessive. My question: What needs to change to prevent this happening again?