PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2007, 23:24
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the recent select commitee report?
Going back very briefly to MASC, I wasn't speculating, merely suggesting. It was Jackonicko's recent thread on the Islander and Defender that put the idea in my head that a STOL carrier landing/take off would be possible. Also since the MASC choice has been portrayed as Merlin, Osprey or Hawkeye, then why not consider alternatives such as a helicopter with a greater altitude and cabin volume, or any fixed wing type that doesn't need cats and traps, if such a thing was possible?

Perhaps it is possible, if only on paper: Interesting Studies

Design requirements included a takeoff ground roll of 300 ft, a landing ground roll of 400 ft, cruise at 350 knots with a range of up to 1500 nm with reserves, payload of 24 passengers and baggage for a commercial version or a military version with a 10,000 lb payload, capable of carrying two GE F110 engines for the F-14D, and a spot factor requirement of 60 feet by 29 feet.

For a moment they had me going, I thought it was a real proposal!! I did wonder why a STOL type was proposed when they have cats and traps, and the penny did drop. Opps!

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 26th Feb 2007 at 22:36.