PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Your first flight
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2007, 21:55
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Fokkerwokker
In those days you dressed UP to go travelling......not DOWN! Aaaaaah what a way to travel!
Yes, I remember them too because our parents made my elder sister, brother and I be turned out smart for our first flight as a family in December 1965.

I had visited LHR before, from our home in Cambridge, to see my sister off on a school exchange trip to Rome in 64 or 65. She was on Alitalia so it was probably a Caravelle??

On Dec 4th or 5th 1965, BOAC VC-10 for JNB via CIA (IIRC) and NBO. Being a family of five, we had a row to ourselves and I had the aisle seat of the three, so as to be nearest to my parents - yes I was the naughty one who needed to be controlled! We were smartly dressed and took it in turns to sit at the window.

Rome was just a blur but Nairobi was MAGICAL. To get off the plane and walk around the airport in the middle of the night?? was VERY exciting to a nine year old! When we got out at NBO, my sister immediately said that the night time 'sound track' was just like Daktari!

Then to JNB in the blazing morning sun ... I have made that journey many times since by Super VC-10 and 741/2/3/4 and 343 and shall be making that journey again in April on (probably) a 346. Watching the dawn come up over Africa NEVER fails to thrill me.

Yes, I too lost my Junior Jet Club log book.

Whilst it is true that I loathe BAA at LHR, I have an enduring love for the field itself and the many trips made from it. Even this week, dropping a friend off at T1 (SAA to CPT!) made me feel all cosy.

I cannot refrain from saying ... 8th August 2003 on G-BOAC. For me, it was altogether perfect to ride on 'BOAC' and I also have a galley container but I bought it for myself!!

[There is a sudden loud rustling of anorak from the wardrobe. ]