PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 15th Feb 2007, 21:54
GGV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of 737-200s, that's the 737 variant I'm type rated on. I know that American carriers don't really care what kind of 737 type rating their new hires have, so how strict are the guys at Ryanair about the 800 requirement?
Unless I am very much mistaken, we have here one of those wonderful opportunities for a serious trans-atlantic misunderstanding. Hopefully the following will help.

thepotato232 just to confirm: I presume that you are referring to the fact that some U.S. carriers do not require their co-pilots have a full type -rating for the purposes of performing co-pilot duties?

If so, what you mean is "can a rating on another variant suffice?"

Answer: a full rating on the variant to be flown is a requirement on all types when you have a JAA licence. (This is a FAA - JAA difference - though I stand to be corrected on this by any experts here).

CamelhAir's reply reflects the fact that Ryanair prefer their new low time pilots to have no rating so that they will pay an intermediary training organisation for a B737-800 rating, thereby contributing to Ryanair profits (the mechanism is irrelevant here) and, while these pilots think success will lead to a job with Ryanair, they are incorrect (as is made clear in Ryanair's submission to the SEC). Most do join a line of prospective co-pilots, to be called upon when required. However, their employment is hedged by many more caveats than most realise (until they are in the dodo).