PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGLL "West Coast" Departures - DC8/707
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2007, 10:50
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Interesting bit of nostalgia for me this thread .

I remember from my enthusiast/spotter days hearing Clipper flights cleared on as I recall ' a non standard polar departure crossing Epsom at 2000 and Biggin at 4000. I thought these were off 09R as it was because a heavy 747 turning for Epsom off 28L/R would probably have scared everyone in Staines to death but I may well be wrong. I also remember the same aircraft getting a 'non standard Lyneham west departure -to leave airways west of Lyneham'. Was that for the same reason

I assumed these were due to the early 747s being unable to climb as required by SIDs

I ddint know anyone used circling departures at LHR-some years later Iwas on an Air France 747-100 Combi departing beijing for Paris and that performed an enormous circle overhead the airport in order to gain height to cross the mountains north of the city-quite exciting .

On the subject of long trips South African had a Mondays only 747-100 departure direct to Jo'burg- pretty impressive if you stood at the departure end of 28L and watch them rotate just before the block 79? intersection

Happy days-at least if you lived near LHR and put up with the noise you could watch the fun in peace without fences and security

PB