PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Your first flight
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2007, 10:07
oncemorealoft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feb 1968 in a British Eagle BAC 1-11 after having made an emergency landing en route BHX-PMI in another British Eagle 1-11 a couple of hours earlier.

The BHX-departing aircraft suffered an engine failure just after take-off aircraft, with the benefit of hind-sight it sounded like a compressor stable - a rapid string of muffled bangs and then an announcement by the Captain that he'd shut down an engine and we were diverting to LHR.

I remember the lights of central London as we circled for a night landing at LHR accompanied by emergency services with 'blues and twos' after touchdown. We disembarked down the rear steps under the whistling APU and were parked in the middle of Cravelles from Iberia and Alitalia. The sound sight and smell were wonderful!

I was ten years old and it was my first ever flight. Mum stayed serenely calm throughout, whereas Dad - who got claustrophobic on aeroplanes - as soon as we were in the departure lounge at LHR headed quickly to the bar to calm his nerves.

Mum thought all airliners had four engines and that losing one of these was no big deal. As Dad got his drink she heard other passengers praising the pilots for the single engine landing and discovered the 1-11 only had 2 engines. "I will have that drink after all," she shouted across to my Dad!