PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SU-30 Video
Thread: SU-30 Video
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2007, 05:56
BombayDuck

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
For those who don't know, the Sukhoi Su-30MKI ('Multirole, Commercial, India in Russian) features Thrust vectoring and is operational. The nozzles move 16 degrees in all directions (unlike the Raptor which moves its paddles either up or down). I've seen it perform many times, including this month at Aero India where both it and the MiG-29OVT (similar nozzles) performed twice a day for five days

Jag pilot - from my limited understanding of aerodynamics, apparently in the Sukhoi the canards have a large role to play in maintaining airflow over the wing and past the vertical tails. Of course, the ability to move the nozzles sideways takes some pressure off the rudders. In the MiG-29OVT however, the design of the aircraft is such that the fuselage produces a large portion of the lift so I am told it helps. Since I'm not an aero engineer, feel free to correct me

Raymond - to add what you said, initially when the MKI arrived in the IAF, it wasn't very successful against the vanilla MiG-29 we operate, what with the fact that our Fulcrums are only used for A2A and the pilots have had a decade under their belt in air combat. Tactics in the last few years of course have evolved (and exercises with the USAF, RAF, RSAF have certainly helped) and the odds have swung.

I talked to an MKI pilot at AI, he tells me more than anything else its the GIB who is critical in that particular aircraft. In a high-alpha maneuver where the pilot has his hands full, its the WSO who is calling out the threats.

But more than the fancy maneuvers, they appreciate its large payload (12 weapon stations) and tremendous range and endurance (10 hrs with a single refuel).

You can find pics and videos of all the aircraft that performed on Bharat Rakshak.