PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair: approach incidents in the news
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2007, 20:34
captainpaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite amusing that when Danny remarked in the other Ryanair bashing thred
The problem with digging for sh1t is that everyone standing round the hole get's it up their nostrels not just the one standing with the shovel!
Can't think why we thought you were speaking in RYR's defence.

Finally, we are talking safety here. Without centerline lights, CAT3 landings would be unsafe due to the lack of visual references in the rollout unless the RVR is 550+.....agreed?
Yes, agreed.

Why then is it more safe for one operator to know that the RVR is less than 550m and land CAT3 and for another to do the exact same but be unsafe....simply because they received the information earlier. If landing in less than 550 CAT3 with no centerline lights is unsafe then everyone who did that regardless of when the RVR reading was received was unsafe.
It isn't safer for one operator to do it over another operator. But what has that got to do with it? Other operators at STN that night knew and didn't land. RYR landed anyway most likely because of their lack of understanding of what affects required RVR for a given approach. (see my previous quote of the CAA who said no other airline was involved.)

Perhaps you guys should check some simple facts properly before posting.
This whole discussion began as "Ryanair: Approach Incidents in the News". It has since become an attempt to analyse the larger scale problems within the company which may be further highlighted by the STN issues. Don't tell me to check my facts when you could not have read the other posts in this thread. The RVR thing is one of many problems that have come to light in RYR lately. Of course any other aircraft who bust minima are unsafe. That goes without saying. But this thread is about RYR. Not the other airlines. If you are not trying to say that if other operators do it then it isn't as bad that RYR do it, I have no idea what you're trying to say.