PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EGLL "West Coast" Departures - DC8/707
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2007, 18:13
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't recall the "circling" departures, nor do I recall doing too much praying other than that I'd be high up the EG list! Sure, the long distance aircraft took up a lot of runway, but most made it.. There were two spectacular engine failures by 747s.. one which went past Windsor at 500ft - right alongside some colleagues and I in a car on the M4. When it later returned to land after dumping fuel I said: "You really frightened us as we were driving in".. a suitable cheery response came from the pilot but it landed me in the cack next day when, apparently, the flight became a discussion point in the Commons. Another 747 taking off, unusually, on 10L was taking up a lot of runway. Someone said: "Hope he doesn't lose one"... which he promptly did with a big bang and lots of flame, setting fire to a huge patch of grass undet the 28R approach lights!
There was a Polar departure off easterlies - Bromley, Hornchurch and BPK at 4000ft, climb when instructed by radar, etc. Produced a classic readback from a US pilot who simply replied "roger" to his clearance. I asked for a readback and got something like "Brookchurchparkhill at 4000ft...."