PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bungling CAA puts paid to 747 landing.
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2007, 17:19
CJ750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilanesberg Debacle

There seems to be conflicting reports of who to blame. I have to admit right away that i do not have the experience of that sort of metal but have a few queries about operating a Jumbo into Pilanesberg (I have experience of smaller high performance jets into FAPN)

The runway is maybe long enough but why should you use the field if you need a tug to manoeuvre you around so you don't go off the tar. That is not normal ops is it. How is the clearance on either side of the runway for trees and long grass as far as the engines are concerned. Turning circles is another question i have. Also what about the taxiway and apron. Would they have towed the plane on departure all the way around the apron onto the runway and reversed it (BY TUG) to the end of the runway for the take-off. AGAIN I ASK IS THIS NORMAL OPS AND IF NOT WHY BOTHER.

Now if you cannot operate the aircraft into FAPN and on the apron normally why go there in such a big plane. This is not europe or the middle east this is a small African airfield without many facilities so go in one of the many other smaller planes in the ROYAL fleet .I heard the pax did go off in a bunch of caravans to go hunting so what is the problem.

MONEY cannot get you everywhere and everything you want.

CAA have their problems yes but lets hear their side of the story.

APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.