PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 14th Feb 2007, 10:59
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen .. Bravo!
I’m doubling up a little, but I typed the damd thing so here it is!
This is because those involved keep asking for the ultimate and then it is rejected
…. Dick, you are going to have to explain this to me, could you cite an example of the ‘ultimate’ that has been rejected?
… you do not seem to understand. No RPTs have ADS-B ‘in’ – i.e. a display of ADS-B ‘paints’ in the aircraft cockpit.
… I understand fully, the ‘plug in’ costs … what do you suppose a new TCAS install (without ADS-B) costs for small commuters when compared with new TCAS with ADS-B ‘in’ functionality also??
As the greatest chance of a collision is close to the circuit area – quite often below radar coverage for aircraft of between 10 and 30 passengers,
.. exxxackery … and how many in those airspace areas have TXPDRS let alone accurate ones?
and quite often below ADS-B ‘back to base coverage’ at many airports for similar sized aircraft
… well we should do something about that eh!
– it is obviously more sensible to concentrate on TCAS.
… argh I give up!
Remember, TCAS works without any radar coverage at all.
. yes and will ony see GA aircraft with TXPDR ON (maybe)
Two aircraft in the circuit area at Windorah have the same chance of TCAS working as two aircraft in the circuit area at Sydney airport.
… no not really! … the aircraft in the circuit at Windorah are likely GA and possibly not TXPDR equipped, the aircraft in the circuit at Sydney would likely be big aircraft with digital RVSM encoders (highly accurate) any thing else (helo,s) would most definitely have a TXPDR and it would be checked by ATS nearly every flight! .. see the difference!
I have always supported ADS-B, as long as it is properly certified and designed – and most importantly, has some thought about the problem of ‘spoofing’ by terrorists or amateur disrupters.
… some thought ….OK .... not that I think anybody (of sound mind and capability) would bother .... So make the dam’d thing Licensed equipment i.e. for manufacturers of units for aerial conveyances, operations vehicles and ATS … and huge penalties for breaches … and lets not forget that the Oz ATS surveillance systems will NOT display a non-registered target!
The Airservices high level system that is currently being installed has no real ‘spoofing’ rejection capability.
.. can you provide some support for this assertion?
We already have the most restrictive mandatory transponder requirements in the world. I know – I introduced them.
.. in class E particularly … why is that? … what about OCTA in non radar G or CTAF??
However, we are way behind the rest of the world in TCAS requirements for airline aircraft.
… that would be the ever decreasing number of small commuters?
Surely we should at least step forward slowly where we have a chance of success.
… step forward slowly …. now that is novel!
As I said, “slowly slowly catchy monkey.”
…. Nice banana!
The fact that the “fitment subsidy is nothing but a pipe dream” is no one’s fault – it is just a fact of life.
…. if you are right, opportunity lost is what it amounts to IMHO!!
The fact that Airservices Australia is spending a lot of money in installing a multilateration transponder system in Tasmania shows that they are not totally convinced that ADS-B is the way to go for low level in the short term. This sounds sensible to me.
… or perhaps the WAMLat is being trialled for use to replace the PRM (due to the inherent accuracy)? … it also coincidentally, provides future system options in parallel … I am glad you support it!
If you look at all of my postings over the years, I have always supported ADS-B.
… I must have missed something last year then!
I simply do not want Australia to go it alone as we did with the unique AWA DME, or the microwave landing system. I’m a businessman and I know how to make sensible business decisions.
… no doubt! ... have you the technical, system and business knowledge to make this decision (for all of us)?
One of the success forces in business is to be conservative when it comes to risk taking. That is what I always follow.
….Ooooooo K!