PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orbiting Downwind
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2007, 07:04
six_degrees

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orbiting Downwind

This is going to sound like a really simple question to some, but it has been irritating me for quite some time. When orbiting downwind, should you orbit towards or away from the runway?

I've always learnt that you should *always* orbit away from the runway. That way you remain well clear of the overhead, and any departing or approaching aircraft. You also stay well clear of any traffic on base or crosswind which is particularly important with three or more in the circuit.

I've seen and talked to many other pilots that say the opposite. Reasoning that *all* turns should be in the circuit direction, and at the end of the day the overhead is the safest area (due to aircraft landing or taking off at low level). Of course the overhead isn't always the safest area as there are high performance aircraft, and there are always aircraft on a go-around. Legally this the only option really, as it explicitly states that all turns are in the circuit direction, and does not mention orbiting at all.

It does also pose a problem when different pilots do different things in a busy aerodrome.

What does everyone else think?